Perrysburg’s Bicentennial 1816-2016:   200 Years of Trivia Contest
Sponsored by Way Library & Perrysburg Messenger Journal 

Winners have been announced.  Please congratulate first place Gary Franks, second place Carol Gries, and third place Beth Webb.  You can view the answers below.

1.  Who was Perrysburg’s first mayor? John Spink

2.  Not counting the back cover flap of the book Perrysburg Village Voices, a photo of author, Richard Baranowski  appears once in the book.  What page is it on and who is the person in the photo with him.   Page 53  Person Ardath Danford 

3.  Name four presidents who have visited the city of Perrysburg during its 200th year history.  They do not have to be sitting presidents when they visited.  An answer also counts correctly if the individual visited before or after their presidency. William Henry Harrison, James Garfield, Rutherford B. Hayes, Warren Harding, Ronald Reagan, George Bush, Bill Clinton 

4.  A popular longtime local business operated from 1879 to 1925 at 123 Louisiana Avenue.  What was the name of that business? Munger Brothers Meat Market

5.  What year did Perrysburg High School have their first undefeated football season. 1943

6.  Indiana Avenue has alternate names which also correctly identify this street.  List two alternate street names. Fourth Street, Route 20 Route 795 and will accept Avenue Road   Route 65 or River Road

7.  Perrysburg had a Civil War General and he lived on Front Street.   What was his name? Patrick Slevin

8.  Name the first pastor of St. Rose. Charles Griss

9.  Where was the city of Orleans located? Below or by Fort Meigs on river

10.  The house located at 506 East Front Street was moved from another address.  What was the address of where this house used to be? 139 East Indiana Avenue

11.  Clover Lane was not always called Clover Lane.  What was the name of this street before it became Clover Lane? East Eighth Street or will accept Eighth Street.

12.  In 1892, a nationally famous blind pianist visited Perrysburg and gave a concert in the old town hall. What was his name? John “Blind” Boone

13. What was Perrysburg’s first chain restaurant? Frisch’s Big Boy in 1956

14.  A Civil War General was once an Army Engineer.   In 1835 this famous general visited northern Wood County while in the Army Corps of Engineers who were surveying the Ohio-Michigan line.  What was his name? Robert E. Lee

15.  Within Perrysburg’s original boundaries, name a tree street which runs east-west. Sycamore, Plum, Willow, Silver Maple

16. Rapids Road was originally designated a state route as it once connected two major highways, Route 20 and Route 65.  Although called Rapids Road today, it used to have a state route number as well and it was famous for being the shortest state route in Ohio.   What was the number of this route? 270

17.  There is a Perrysburg street named for an Ottawa Indian.  What is its name? Ottekee Drive,  Otusso Drive.

18.  Before Fort Meigs was rebuilt, Route 65 bisected the park.  You could also drive into the park itself. What was the name of this smaller road that took you into the park and around the monument? Harrison Boulevard

19.  In 1835, Captain David Wilkinson began operating a steamboat regularly between Perrysburg and Buffalo.  He captained several boats over the years.  Name one of them.  The Commodore Perry, Blacksnake, Pilot, Mary Jane, Eagle, Superior, Guerriere

20.  Perrysburg has had over 60 mayors during its 200-year history.  Name two who resigned while still in office. Erasmus Peck, James Tyler, Freeman Bowers, John Lyons, Reeve Kelsey, Jody Holbrook

21.  The mural, painted in 1942 inside the Perrysburg Messenger Journal Office depicts the construction of Fort Meigs.  Who was the artist? Glenn Shaw

22. Who has the tallest cemetery marker in Fort Meigs Cemetery? Willard Way

23.  Within Perrysburg’s original boundaries there are several alleys with street names.  Name one. Burlingwood Drive  East Third Street   Will accept Civic Drive

24.  The Wood County Local Option election in 1908 was for what?  Circle the letter of the correct answer.

  • A. To ban the sale of alcohol.    (This is the correct answer)
  • B. To approve a sales tax for better roads.
  • C. To establish the county seat
  • D. To ban gambling houses

25.  During the 1870s, Perrysburg had competing newspapers.  The Perrysburg Journal was one of these newspapers.  What was the name of the other newspaper? Buckeye Granger

26.  When Way Library was being built in 1958, where was the temporary library located?

  • A. Schaller Memorial  
  • B. Old Louisiana School Building  (This is the correct answer)
  • C. Old Township Hall
  • D. Building that is present site of Kohler Bath House

27.  Way Library was founded in 1881.  What was the address of this first library? 118 Louisiana Avenue

28. In the 1800s Mother of Sorrows was a Catholic Church on Five Point Road.  The church fell out of use and several sections were moved to Perrysburg and used to build a house. The house still stands with one of the church’s windows intact and visible.  What is its address? 315 Elm Street 

29.  What was the last street to be built within Perrysburg’s original 1816 boundaries? Eastbrook Drive

30.  What was the first business to occupy the building that is presently Ken’s Flower Shop? National Foods or National Grocery Store

31.  Who was Zoar Lutheran’s first pastor? George Cronenwett

32.  There was once a Frisch’s Big Boy at the Country Charm Shopping Center.  It went out of business in the mid-1960s.  The restaurant resumed business with a new owner and was renamed.  What was this new restaurant called? Dee Miller’s  Restaurant 

33.  What year did future NFL head coach Jerry Glanville graduate from Perrysburg High School? 1959

34.  At what address was the St. Philomena Gift Shop? 425 East Fifth Street

35.  What year was Woodland School opened? 1979

36.  The Palace Theatre closed in 1957.  What was the last movie to play there? The Rose Tattoo 

37.  Name Perrysburg’s first Safety-Service Director Dan Rowand

38.  Where was Eden Park located? Maple Street by the river

39.  What year was the county seat moved from Perrysburg to Bowling Green? 1870

40.  St. Rose has a series of tall stain-glass windows on the east and west sides of its church.  What two parish names are on the bottom of the window that is in the far (front) northeast corner? Timothy Hayes & George Spoerl

41.  Who was Perrysburg’s first municipal court judge? Wayne Leatherman

42.  What future president attended the 1848 Whig District Convention in Perrysburg? Rutherford B. Hayes 

43.  What was the name of the Perrysburg Marshall who was fatally shot while on duty? Frank Thornton

44.  What year did Jim Leyland graduate from Perrysburg High School? 1962

45.  Until it was filled in during the 1930s, there was a creek that made a half loop through the west side of Perrysburg.  What was this creek called? Ewing Creek, Will Accept Crooked Creek

46.  For many years there was a gas station on the corner of Front Street and West Boundary.  What was the name of this gas station? Sohio

47.  The Perrysburg World War I monument is located at Riverside Park.  How many names are on this monument? 181

48.  The first railroad line through Perrysburg was completed in 1859. What was the name of this railroad company? Dayton & Michigan Railroad  Will Accept Junction Railroad

49.  In the early years of the 20th century a traveling entertainment group performing music and plays came to Perrysburg for a week every summer, setting up on the Commodore grounds.  What was the name of this group? Chautauqua, Will Accept Empire Dramatic Company

50.  For many years the Kip Boulis running race has been held each Memorial Day.  What year did it begin? 1979