Job Title: YOUTH SERVICES LIBRARIAN
Department: Youth Services
Pay Range: $14.50 – $22.00 per hour
Hours of Work: 37.5 hours per week. Evening and weekend hours required.
Immediate Supervisor: Youth Services Coordinator
Positions Supervised: Occasional volunteers
Job Responsibilities: To provide library services to children, including reference, reader’s advisory, programming, community outreach and collection development.
- Master’s degree from an ALA accredited library school preferred.
- Excellent technology skills.
- Good knowledge of children’s literature.
- Knowledge of the fundamental principles and practices of collection development and maintenance.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of library practices and procedures.
- Experience in developing, planning and implementing programming for all ages.
- Ability to maintain an organized workspace.
- Ability to conduct Internet searches, operate library catalog, navigate research databases and download e-books.
- Proficient in email and Microsoft Office products, with emphasis on Publisher, Word and Excel.
- Familiarity with tablet devices.
- Strong verbal, written, presentation, and listening communication skills.
- Ability to foster and encourage library use for all ages and reading levels.
35% Miscellaneous and Special Assignments:
- Plan, prepare and present story times for children age 3-6.
- Plan, prepare and present after school programs for children age 7-10.
- Work closely with teachers, daycare operators and parents providing recreational, educational and curricular materials.
- Conduct tours and library presentations.
- Represent library to community and professional organizations.
- Provide professional assistance to Youth Services Coordinator as needed.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
50% Reference Duties
- Assist patrons in locating appropriate library materials.
- Instruct and assist patrons in the use of public catalogs, databases, tablets, e-readers, and basic Internet operations i.e. account log-in, applications & printing.
- Provide in-depth reference and reader’s advisory service to adult and juvenile patrons.
- Assist with daily retrieval of ILL materials for SEO libraries.
- Prepare bibliographies and booklists.
- Maintain current knowledge of available sources of information and public demand of reading materials.
15% Collection Development Duties:
- Select and maintain assigned collections.
Deadline to apply: August 22, 2016 at 5:00 pm.